Spare Some Change?
Mayoral candidate Adolfo Carrión Jr. raised just $18,000 over the latest fundraising period, his campaign announced on Monday.
Mr. Carrión, who is running on the Independence Party ticket, still has more than $530,000 cash on-hand–enough to keep him in the race. But the total, raised from March 12 through May 11, is less than the numbers put up by many City Council candidates and is a sure a blow for the former Bronx Borough President’s bid for the top job in City Hall.
Adolfo Carrión is not a fan of the New York Daily News
Mr. Carrión, a candidate for mayor this year, blasted the publication this afternoon for a March 5th story questioning an old campaign committee, continuing what has become an apparent feud between Mr. Carrión and the tabloid. The report called into question the committee’s regular large cash disbursements, an apparent violation of state election law, but the Carrión campaign is claiming it misled readers.
A beaming Adolfo Carrion confirmed he will be running for mayor whether or not he gets on the Republican Party Line, setting up the strong possibility of a three-way mayoral slugfest in the fall general election.
“Absolutely. We’re going all the way to November,” Mr. Carrion told Politicker at a national Independence Party conference in Manhattan on Saturday. “We’re hopeful we can continue a discussion with the Republicans and they continue to engage us. But this is about ensuring that there is an independent choice for mayor of New York City. I think that’s where the voters are.”
The Independence Party is fuming that likely candidate Adolfo Carrión was not invited to last night’s Daily News mayoral forum, going so far as to blast out a statement last night tearing into the paper–the clearest indication yet that the ex-Bronx Borough President is likely to receive their coveted (and controversial) endorsement.
“The Daily News … has articulated no clear criteria for inclusion but its decision clearly discriminates against independents, which Mr. Carrión is,” said Cathy Stewart, a spokesperson for the New York City Independence Party. “This exclusion is an affront to democracy and the 1 million New Yorkers who are independent. The Daily News is supposed to cover elections, not pre-determine them.”
Tom Allon wants you to know he doesn’t have an Independence streak.
The Manhattan Media CEO, recent Republican and long-shot mayoral candidate released a statement blasting the controversial Independence Party and his rivals in the wake of an opinionated Daily News investigation into the party’s origins. The piece, which quoted party leader Lenora Fulani asserting that Jews “do the dirtiest work of capitalism, to function as mass murderers of people of color,” enraged Mr. Allon.
Spiking The Football
Hudson Valley Congressman Nan Hayworth’s bid to hold onto the Independence Party line was thwarted in appeals court yesterday and the Republican will have one less spot on the ballot as she competes against Democratic attorney Sean Patrick Maloney this November. Not content to leave the news stand on its own, Mr. Maloney blasted out a statement this afternoon entitled, “Hayworth Can’t Find 770 Independent Voters Who Want Her Back.”
Of course, “Independent” voters aren’t the same thing as the more common “independent” variety, but Mr. Maloney felt her inability to secure enough signatures to spoke to her conservative ideology and votes.
GOP Congressman Michael Grimm lost the Independence Party’s ballot line when he did not turn in enough valid signatures from voters in the district, but he appealed the decision arguing that a systemic problem with the Board of Elections unfairly placed obstacles in his signature-gathering efforts. However, this afternoon, the judge ruled against Mr. Grimm and he will remain off that section of the ballot, according to two Democratic tipsters closely following the race.
“We feel we have strong, strong grounds,” former borough president Guy Molinari, a top adviser to Mr. Grimm’s campaign, initially told the Staten Island Advance. “We’re talking about something very serious.”
Four congressional candidates have lost the Independence line.
NYT has some fun at Pharaoh Bloomberg/Christine Quinn’s expense.
Grace Meng raised $500 large.
Kirsten Gillibrand is getting behind Tish James’ Public Advocate campaign.
Hiram Monserrate faces up to 27 months in prison for his role in the City Council slush fund scandal.
A couple weeks ago, The Politicker reported GOP Congressman Michael Grimm’s petitions for the Independence Party line on the ballot were being challenged by lawyers working for his Democratic opponent, Mark Murphy. And, earlier this afternoon, the Board of Elections unanimously sided with Mr. Murphy and officially booted Mr. Grimm off the line, which will now be blank in November.
It’s fairly uncommon for sitting incumbents to lose third party lines as they tend to have the resources and the operations to easily gather a sufficient number of signatures. Indeed, Mr. Grimm’s campaign expressed a lot of confidence when the general objection to his signatures first emerged, suggesting the story was the product of “a slow news day.”
Last night, candidates for federal office submitted their petitions to be on the primary and general election ballots. Rival campaigns, through proxies, now have the chance to object to their signatures and see if enough can be ruled invalid to disqualify them from the party line.
This is exactly what has already happened with GOP Congressman Michael Grimm’s bid to be nominated by the Independence Party, which he declared was a “game changer” when he initially announced their backing. However, the campaign of his Democratic opponent, Mark Murphy, is questioning whether he turned in enough valid signatures to bring that endorsement into effect.